Monday, November 21, 2016

Sorry About Last Week






Hey Everyone!

So last week I'm sure you noticed I didn't write an email. Reasoning behind that was I honestly got done writing emails to everyone that sent me one and thought, "Awesome I got em done!" Then went and played basketball. So I apologize that I forgot to send one!

This week has been great! We have been doing much service for people as well as trying to find new investigators. Being in a car is both a blessing and a curse, on a bike its casual and normal to stop and talk to someone you see, but in a car you can't just slam the brakes and chase someone down or they'd probably have a bit of a cold shoulder to what you'd have to say. So we have been biking around when we don't have specific lesson plans, it's been a dream especially since it's no longer ridiculously hot outside. 

Just so everyone knows, east Texas is amazing. If you ever drive through, come to Tyler and drive around Tyler Lake. BEAUTIFUL. 

The experience I want to share this week is not necessarily my own but I did get to play a role in it. This week we went on exchanges with our zone leaders. I went to another area with Elder McAllister. He and his companion the day before were walking in a parking lot of a mall that was basically deserted. There was no cars or anyone for a good 200 feet in any direction. So they were walking and talking when this guy behind them calls out, "Hey wait! Who are you guys?" They flip around immediately pretty startled that someone just appeared and was wondering who they were. They sat awkwardly realizing he asked them something and then stuttered out that they were missionaries. The guy then asked, "What do you do?" So they told him. He accepted to learn more and so they went their ways. Crazy.

Well this guy calls the next day when I'm on exchanges with Elder McAllister and asks if we had eaten yet. We had but we asked if he wanted to meet up today instead of Sunday and have a lesson, he said sure what time and so we then had a lesson planned at the church. When we got there he introduced himself as Mike and we went on with our tour of the church building and lesson. He then relayed his side of the story of how he met the other elders. He was driving to Chipotle for lunch when he saw Elder McAllister and Elder Blanthorn walking across the street in the mall parking lot. He parked at Chipotle and felt a strong urge that he must speak with those two men immediately. So he drove over, parked his car, and ran after them until he caught up. That is how Mike met the missionaries! Crazy! We then had one of the best lessons I've had on my mission. Though I didn't get to be a part of him finding them, I was humbled I was able to have a lesson with him and meet him. So darn cool how the Lord works. 

Something we have been sharing at dinners the past couple of weeks that I invite you all to have for family night is the story of Naaman. The verses specifically we have been reading are 2 Kings 5: 9-14. Small and simple things can bring about great things, so we shouldn't need to expect to do this grand and crazy things when we want to share the gospel with someone. It's the small things. With this and as you discuss how those verses apply to missionary work, pray and seek for opportunities to share the gospel with someone you know or someone the Lord can place in your path and be simple! Participating in the Lord's work is a true blessing and I challenge all of you to pray and seek for opportunities! They're all around us and as we tell the Lord we desire to help, he is going to work miracles through us. 

Dallas Daze

So this week we had a crazy experience. I won't say who but someone we work closely with is doing genetic research and things on.......COCKROACHES. We got to see their workshop and everything and it was DISGUSTING but it was awesome at the same time. There were so many of them! I was so grossed out that forgot to take pictures to show you all but I'm sure there are many that aren't too sad about that.

Another one since last week we didn't get to hear one, if you live in east Texas, your probably have a dog, its that simple. Well this family is a foster home for puppies, and yes, it was fantastic. I shall attach pictures. 

Another fun but not really that fun thing that happened this morning was we discovered a random flat tire on our car! Yay! It was fun though. I don't think I've ever changed a tire but I can now say, it isn't that hard. 

That is about it for this week, we got to up our game in the missionary lawn care business, you'll see what I mean. We found a very astonished investigator that couldn't believe their eyes at the sight of the Book of Mormon, took some pictures of what it looks like out here, pretty awesome. I'm loving it out here and I leave you with the utmost assurance that I know the Book of Mormon is true! If you don't know it yet. You can. Read it, and pray about it. It's that simple, so many things are possible and give so much hope because that book is true. I testify of our Savior that He lives and those that lean on him will never be forsaken.

I love ya'll!
Elder Hiatt

No comments:

Post a Comment