Monday, January 30, 2017

Take His Yoke Upon You

Hey y'all!

This week was slow, we yet again had car problems, but this time it gave up the ghost so we are workin with that.

Dallas Daze

So as everyone knows, BBQ is a thing in the south. Meat is quite sought after. Well I have had now the best BBQ I've had in my whole life. It truly made me wish I was fatter so I could eat more. The guy that made it was up early in the morning and cooked all throughout the day to have it perfect. We had a big plate of cow ribs, pork ribs, brisket stuffed jalapeños wrapped in bacon, garlic butter potatoes, homemade ice cream and brownies, and homemade BBQ sauce. All homemade, smoked, hand rubbed, and ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. I couldn't eat all of it all so the chopped it all up and we now are having it for sandwiches and hot dang it was good.

So nothin crazy happened but some crazy good food.

I also had some octopus sushi and eel sushi at a Chinese place. Was pretty much not that great. But the other sushi they had was bomb. 

Couple things I wanted to talk about this week was something we learned in the missionary broadcast in which they changed the schedules of missionaries and such. They talked about our purpose and the doctrine of Christ. Something that stuck out to me as we watched the apostles council together about certain matters was how often times we as members separate doctrines as being distinct things that are loosely connected to one another. But it isn't so. Sometimes we think faith and repentance for example are two different things but when we can understand faith UNTO repentance, we grow closer to our savior and understand his doctrine which deepens our conversion as we act. Or tough subjects like the scattering and gathering of Israel. It's a branch of gods plan of salvation in which his children learn of him and gather and teach one another the plan so that we can all be together forever. It's part of enduring to the end in stage here on earth. Things that may seem out in the distance are often times very close and just take study and prayer to understand. I don't know a lot of things, but I know that everything can be tied back to faith in Jesus Christ unto repentance, baptism, the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. The gospel is simple and we can understand the layers through study and prayer. There is no question or mis understanding that can't be resolved through study, prayer, and fasting. Hold to your faith and receive more, it's how we obtain more joy than we already have. 

The other thing is a personal study I have undertaken as invited by Russel M. Nelson. Study everything the savior ever said and did. This can be done by going to the topical guide and reading everything you find under "Jesus Christ." It'll link to multiple names and other sections but from there, read everything, then move to the next linked name/topic and read everything in there. I am still on "Jesus Christ" but I have found such peace, joy, strength, help, and clarity through this. The savior said, "my yoke is easy and my burden is light." We must come to know the savior to access this and as we come to know him, we cannot help but to love him. A recent general conference talk reads, "if I loved the savior more, would I suffer less?" The answer is resoundingly, YES! But the real question is how? How does that work? How is his yoke easy and burden light? How does weakness become strength through the Atonement? How do I answer questions of my heart? How? Well I invite you, seconding Russel M. Nelson, read everything the Savior ever said and did, study him, come to know him, and find out how. Discover just how real God is. If your dwindling, come back! This Sunday a recent convert talked about how he would come to church after he was baptized and was discouraged because he felt so behind everyone else, like they had it going and were eons ahead of him. But through study, prayer, and living the gospel he came to know that we are all struggling with unseen things, he was not alone. This is your way back! I promise you in Jesus' name that if you will learn of Him, if you will study Him as the great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Lord Jesus Christ in the New Testament, the Prophesied Messiah of the Book of Mormon, and the Living God and head of His church in the Doctrine and Covenants, everything He said and did, you're life will is going to change. You have so many loving brothers and sisters on this side of the veil and the other side cheering you on. If you've fallen back, come back. If you are here, press on. If you doubt, find peace. If you hunger, hunger no more. If you thirst, drink and find the waters of life. He is the way, and it all starts through coming to know Him. He has done many things, and what better way to know Him, than studying what things he's done for you. I exhort that you to give this a chance, it won't happen in a day, but it will happen. Take His yoke upon you, for it is indeed easy, and His burden is truly light. Discover who Christ was, is, and forever will be. I testify He is the savior of the world. He is the Holy One of Israel, He is our advocate, and He is our friend. He is my strength and because of Him, I have found sure foundation, direction in the moment, and hope of the future. What person on earth wouldn't want hope and peace?

I love you all and hope everything is goin well!
Elder Hiatt

No comments:

Post a Comment